Leah Rimini's Scientology Series

• Creator
    Topic
    MountainMom
    Participant

I watched Leah Rimini's series premiere on Scientology Tuesday night and it was very good.  What a brave lady to speak out and expose this cult for what it is.  She didn't have to speak, she could have walked away.  But she didn't because she knows a terrible wrong was done to the members, (unless they were Tom Cruise status) and she felt like she needed to help others.  I admire her so much for that.  It couldn't have been easy. 

The first part was background, and I already knew it because I read her book, "Troublemaker."  So it was a little slow for me at first.  But when she got into the interview part, the personal story of Amy Scobee and her mother, it was riveting.  I could really relate to the mother and how the disconnection policy of Scientology affected her.  She said she was a person who was always up and positive, and she couldn't understand how people could get depressed and just stay there.  But she said she did get depressed when she had to disconnect from her daughter, and she stayed there.  She didn't want to live anymore.  Her sister said she thought she was suicidal.  Then she just went over to her daughter's house and hugged her and told her that she wasn't going to honor the disconnection policy, and she left Scientology too.  That was what I'd call a happy ending, and it was very uplifting.  I know it doesn't happen that way most of the time, but I am so happy that it happened that way for Amy and her Mom. 

Although they are two different cults, Scientology and Wms have in common the traits that all cults do, and I see the similarities.  The extreme control, the extreme sacrifices of time and finances for members, fear and manipulation to keep members, and worst of all, the damage to families.  Basic things that define a cult.

I know how hard this has been for Leah, and I don't think Scientology will let up on her.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to her for drawing attention to cult behavior.  I hope WMS members will see the similarities.

jw03550
    Participant

The videos ripping on Ron and Diane are no longer on YouTube – that I could find, anyway.

They are similar to how Scintology rips leaders that left in that Ron and Diane had no credit whatsoever – according to "pro-church" side.

Also, I have heard former members talk about disconnection at WMSCOG.  Even if we give WMSCOG the benefit of the doubt as concerns disconnection, I barely hear from my friend unless I practically border on being a pest.  And I'm certain that MM can attest to strained relations from what Ive read on this forum.

Disconnection hurts, and I have heard from family members that were promised by leaders "how family friendly" this church is.  I call bull$hit on that. 

One last thing. Rebecca Gardner's videos are no longer on YT.

MountainMom
    Participant

Yes, Ron gave up over a decade of his life and Diane and her family gave up almost a decade to the service of the Wms.  Then when they left, they were shunned and given no respect.  The Wms told members by way of edited videos and other means that they were terrible people, liars, etc.  It is typical of what a cult does to former members.  Scientology does it, and the Wms does it too. 

I was told by a deacon that in the Wms, family isn't just an important thing, it is THE MOST important thing.  Well, that is completely the opposite of how it seems with that bunch.  In fact, I know it is the opposite of what they teach.  I read in one of J.C. Kim's books that family and children are "temptations of Satan."  Doesn't seem like family would be considered important, unless you are only considering the leaders and current members as your new family.

Ms Freedom
    Participant

Hopefully this will expose all cults for their mind manipulation (fear) and control. The WMS is not about family. They are about separation from non-believers, which a lot of the time, includes family.

I have seen my child twice in the last 4 years. Once we surprised her at the church and the last time was a year ago when she called to meet us for dinner. We were so excited and thought this was a step in the right connection of her becoming a part of our family again. Sadley, in January when the story aired on Rebecca, we realized that WMS found out about the story and "encouraged" (manipulated) many of its members to meet with their families and show that they love them. 

Sadly, it didn't last. It has been a year and very little communication between our child and any member of our family. 

The strange thing is… cult leaders can't break the control! They think that if their members interact with their family, they will realize the truth and leave (which will happen in some cases). But what they refuse to see is that by basically holding their members captive, they stir up the family members who want to expose them and then the negativity starts to eat away at their "family friendly" lies and they are exposed. There are many families who have family members that believe weird things, but parents mostly ignore it because it isn't made to be such a big deal. (I have a friend who goes to a fortune teller and her family just rolls their eyes – she is still an active member of their family!)

They may be able to control some of their members, but their are always a few who are fighters (like Leah) and if the cult turns on them (like WMS did on Ron and Diane) they will come out swinging. Too bad they don't get that!

Btw – the videos may be off the internet but they aren't gone – I know someone who has them all!

Also, I know a mother who was recently contacted by a major news company and questioned about WMS separating the family. Its going to keep happening until they get it – which doesn't look like its happening if they are preaching the end of the world again!

MountainMom
    Participant

I also know someone who has all the videos. I think many people thought of that.  I am really glad people recorded them before they disappeared off the internet.  Members, and missionaries such as John Powers are caught on tape, and this will prove to be invaluable because there are so many statements that contradict what they actually ask of their members.   I also know mothers, husbands/wives/ and other family members who have been contacted to speak out about their loved one's involvement in the Wms and how it has damaged their families.  Some have already been filmed and interviewed. 

Exposure will bring down Scientology.  I think it's already taken a chunk out of them.  It will work with World Mission Society too. 

jw03550
    Participant

The WMSCOG technique is quite pervasive – i.e., flys under the radar

there is a video out on YouTube somewhere…spiritual gravitation I think it is titled. 

summary:  anything pulling the member away from the Passover is Satan's work.  Therefore, without out-&-out saying it, loving family that wants the member to do something that interfere with Saturday services = Satan's work. 

MountainMom
    Participant

You are right, JW, and we all knew they were teaching this about family members, but I hope people are able to see this in video form if possible.  The proof is out there.  They just stay away from putting things in print or anywhere else they can be examined.  Sometimes, though, they mess up. 

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.