New video from a current member youtube, makes Church look even CRAZIER!

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Mayor Then they will put the Scarlet letter, “S” on my suit. “Slanderer!”. It was always funny when members would say it, with their dry Korean accent. They sounded like The Count from Sesame Street.

AbbaFather07
    Participant

I wish my husband would get kicked out and asked not to return lol…that would be so great:) untouchable I wish you could have recorded things…accents and just how people interacted. Seems kind of comical!

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Abba Yeah. Short story. When I first joined, we had a family day, and I brought a friend of mine who my Fraternity had done some work with. The guy, Johnny, was a tad rough around the edges and had a bad way of cracking jokes at bad times. Anyway, when I brought hin, I introduced him to the then, Overseer. The Overseer was former military guy, in his mid twenties with a Korean wife. He spoke with the fake Korean accent that plagued many leaders not of Korean decent. When Johnny met him, after a few minutes he says to him, “Your a white guy, why the hell are you talking like that? Who are you, Confuscious?!” My wife and I were in awe. Later on after leaving, we both admitted how funny it was. I think assimilating the accent is something members try to do, to feel accepted and move up the ranks. Our 2nd Overseer, who was Dominican but born in the US, would try and do it here and there.

AbbaFather07
    Participant

Untouchable I admire people that speak their mind. It may seem uncomfortable at times but I wish I could say what everyone is thinking or point out the elephant in the room. (Seems like what that guy Johnny did) The main thing that bothers me so much is how fake the Cog is…from their videos to the way they talk. Its so recited and uniformed…it drives me crazy…I wanna shake them and say snap out of it. My brother in law was going to become a Navy Seal. He was crazy, hilarious, and passionate. He is now married to a Korean girl which was arranged by the church (he cant afford her visa which is sad bc the cog should pay they arranged the marriage) and wears buttoned up shirts and black pants parts his hair on the side, speaks differently when talking about the cult…whicb is majority of what he talks about…its like a case of the body snatchers…its sad.

Hyde
    Participant

They tried to arrange a marriage between me and a Korean girl I had never met before. The Deaconess sat me down privately one day and asked me if I wanted to be married and I said yes I would like to some day. I would like to get married but they misunderstood what I meant. Next thing I know, on Sabbath day, they ushered me into a room with this girl sitting there and I didn't even know her. I sat down with her and they left us alone. Then when they came back into the room I said "don't do this to me…I don't want this" and I left the room. The deaconess never talked about it again. I was a bit slow to realize what was going on but i'm glad I didn't go through with it because I would probably still be tied to the WMS. I only found out later that they arrange marriages.

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Do they ever! You didn’t want to get hitched to someone you don’t even know? Yes, me neither. But why do they do it? What do they tell the member in Korea? You will be given a husband or wife if you go do the gospel work overseas? Are they just trying to establish themselves in other countries through marriage? It’s funny how they dont even tell you a thing. They just usher you into a room and set you up.

AbbaFather07
    Participant

To be honest I wouldnt have been aware of what was going on either. How awkward! And they dont pay for the immigration/visa but they are quick to set u up. Who would want to come to Us to marry a stranger? I watched that show 90 day fiance where they come here for a better life so I kind of understand not marrying for love but to come here and be enslaved by cog no thank u!

UntouchableJ
    Participant

Part of it is to keep a Korean presence in the churches also. Ive noticed there is ALWAYS a Korean in the churches. And Im not speaking about Korean-Americans who happen to be from the church are, who are Americanized. No. Im talkin barely knowing much English, thick Accented Koreans who found their way here. I think alot of it is because they need to keep the messages authentic to what head office wants. When my old “zion” had its scandal with my first Overseer, I was told thag afterwards, the church had to record the sermons to Korea, because the Overseer had been adding his own twists. Again, for the most part there are Koreans in most branch churches and they try to assimilate into that countries culture.

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Are there not South Koreans in all the churches? The Zion scandal? Did they cover it up? Also, as for the quick arranged marriages, does anyone know if this is similar to South Korean culture, or is it strictly occurring within the cog? Just like “get baptized immediately” do they want you to get married immediately?

MountainMom
    Participant

M & M, didn't you say they tried to arrange a marriage for you too? 

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Yes. They tried. Looking back, there were 5 potentials. I didn’t realize it at first. My overseer tip toed very carefully in front of me, I was not ushered in a room. Now that Im out, I’m good, and I never regretted saying no.

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Mayor The zion scandal, was my 1st Overseer who had a near stalking and unhealthy infatuation with a female member. When we had preaching assembly, he would always go with her. But to a location where others weren’t preaching. Giving hugs. Talking about his unhappiness with his Korean appointed wife. When she began dating a “brother” in secret, he tried to give the guy hell. He then tried to have her relocate to another “Zion” when he feared she might tell. It was covered up. He was wisked away to Chicago zion. It was rumored he was kicked out, or down graded to a Deacon. A member showed me his facebook page, and he really didnt look like he was w member anymore (full beard, pic of him drinking wine). Recently his G+ pics have him looking as if he was back(no facial hair, parted comb-over and dated suit).

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Who goes out preaching and then asks for hugs? Ah, sister, can I have a hug? A preaching date. No one is perfect. Sounds like get was put back in the wood work. But covered up. I see.

AbbaFather07
    Participant

So do they arrange marriages even though a member is already married? I could see that especially if the spouse is an unbeliever…I always joke but half serious when my husband goes to passover im like are you going to find a Korean wife.

UntouchableJ
    Participant

@Abba No, but in the past if a member had a spouse that was very vocal against the church, they have suggested the member divorce the spouse. Now, most of is know the bible has strict regulations on divorce. When I was there, it seemed the church steered clear of the topic. But when they feel that a member is a “faithful gospel worker”, they will try to match them up with a Korean, or another single member. When I saw it happen, I was told that the members were allowed to go on a few dates to see if they were compatible. I was told that members were arranged for the gospel work. I assumes it was to prevent them from temptation. But, I know many members had issues with the marriages.

icecake76
    Participant

LOL

Viewing 16 replies - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.