The Bible: There are problems with different translations.

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua
    Participant

Even though it has been addressed before there are different versions of the Bible. Right now there is a conversation going on in the home section of this website. The main jist of conversation is the attempt to validate the NIV version as accurate. I don't often put an absolute personal oppinion about subjects because I don't want my oppinion to overly influence others discovery of the truth. I am going to give my oppinion about the NIV and feel free to agree or disagree. From my point of view the NIV stands for notoriously invalid version. Not many translations gain this kind of acclaim from me. The NIV is much easier to read and understand than some of the other versions however, a simple Google search brings up a laundry list of errors and omissions contained within the NIV. Oddly enough, most religious cult like groups choose to use this version as their official Bible and often times request that their members use this one and do away with all others. 

Proponents of the NIV will argue that nothing has been removed from the NIV and that the scriptures that are no longer in the text where they origionally were are now in the footnotes at the bottom of the page. I have often stated that you need to do your own research. Don't let someone spoon feed you what they think you should believe. In my efforts to learn more about this I've discovered over twenty eight pages of errors and omissions from the NIV. Some of these are referenced in the footnotes but for the amount of errors overall I will say that this version of the Bible has been taken away from. A lot of what is left has also been reworded in such a way that the meaning has been altered. Sorry folks but once again I believe that this version is a load of P/O/O/P!

If you're wondering I most often use the New King James Version NKJV. This version also has problems so please don't start in on me with this kind of thing. Even though I use this version most often my personal Bible contains the NIV, KJV, NASB, and the Amplified Bible. My NKJV is separate and I often have both Bibles open at the same time and cross reference them while I study. The most difficult for me is the KJV which also happens to be the most accurate translation that we currently have. Did you know that we really do not have and origional documents of the Bible? Just a little footnote for you. We have the Dead Sea Scrolls as far as anything we can reference the accuracy of our Bible with and so far the KJV is as close as we get.

Please do some research on your own. A simple Google search of something like KJV vs. NIV will give you a lot to start with. Know the truth for yourself. Don't take my word or anybody elses word for it! Be convinced in your own mind as the book of Romans puts it.

Momsix828
    Participant

I have a KJV verse I think about when trying to talk to my WMS loved one 1 Tim. 2:24 “And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

That’s a another good verse mom6828. I felt I was taken captive by the WMS near the end of my tour. It was still easy to walk out, one step after another. Emotionally and spiritually is a different story.

Mayor and Mike
    Participant

Happy new year Joshua and the examining team.

Are there bible versions out there I should also look at or stay away from? There are many as we know.

Here is a quote from my NIV preface: ” Like all translations of the Bible, made as they are by imperfect man, this one undoubtly falls short of its goals. Yet we are grateful to God for the extent to which he has enabled us to realize these goals and for the strength he has given us and our colleagues to complete our task. We offer this version of the bible to him in whose name and for whose glory it has been made. We pray that it will lead many into a better understanding of the Holy Scriptures and a fuller knowledge of Jesus Christ the incarnate Word, of whom the Scriptures so faithfully testify. “

I respect the NIV still. Bible translation is no simple task.

genny
    Participant

I like that verse, Momsix.  Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Joshua
    Participant

I just had a thought and this post seemed like the most reasonable one to put it in. If the WMSCOG pushes the NIV how on earth are they able to justify Elohim? The NIV uses a more easy to understand english format and shys away from more difficult translation. We know from studying that Elohim, where it is pointed out by the WMS, doesn't mean there is more than one God. Even the NIV would wholeheartedly agree that there is only One True God. It even warns against strange doctrine. If Jesus didn't teach it then it's not something to hold as Gods Truth. Why does the WMS push the NIV when it's not in line with their Elohim teaching that is a foundational piece of their belief system?

UntouchableJ
    Participant

Joshua- The NIV in its extreme simplicity leaves alot to personal interpretation, or lead interpretation. Im willing to bet if you try a WMS prophecy sermon such as 7Churches, using another translation, it won’t be the same. I think I might try that tonight ๐Ÿ˜‰

jw03550
    Participant

Kai TIng wrote:

Comparisons can only be done against the original greek/hebrew text.

this ^

Kai TIng wrote:

The problem is not with the translation itself, but the way that people use the translations

and this ^

mikeforster06
    Participant

The NIV is pretty much the only English Bible that Koreans use. Korean-English Bibles are common. The NIV is always the version used from my experience. Its use derives froms its ubiquity.

Want to get close to the original Greek? Grab a Nestle-Aland 27 or 28. Take courses at a seminary.

Hebrew works the same way.

Viewing 8 replies - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.