Les Undesirables

nohandle
    Participant

If you were running the group, wouldn't you get your followers to make that decision themselves?  That is, that they decide not to associate.  The group would plant the seed but not actually dictate who the member is allowed to meet, no?

All the videos I've seen on JWs…the followers themselves choose to cut off.

I'm sure this is what you mean, Smurf.  rsvp.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nohandle wrote:

The group would plant the seed but not actually dictate who the member is allowed to meet, no?

Naive response.  Of course they choose to associate with whom they want.  It is only accidental that the suppressive mental conditioning, the inculcation of fear, and other coercive tactics employed by the cult influence that choice ….. right NoHandle?????

Sally
    Participant

nohandle wrote:

If you were running the group, wouldn't you get your followers to make that decision themselves?  That is, that they decide not to associate.  The group would plant the seed but not actually dictate who the member is allowed to meet, no?

I'm sure this is what you mean, Smurf.  rsvp.

Not sure which video's your watching but this comes directly from the Watchtower and it says, shunning is the right thing to do, it can even save your life, according to the Watchtower that is :

Her parents had been disfellowshipped. She was not, but she voluntarily disassociated herself by writing a letter withdrawing from the congregation. …She moved away, but years later she returned and found that local Witnesses would not converse with her. …Such shunning would be appropriate, too, for anyone who rejects the congregation. …By also avoiding persons who have deliberately disassociated themselves, Christians are protected from possible critical, unappreciative, or even apostate views. …Imagine, too, how the wrongdoer’s brothers, sisters, and grandparents felt. Yet, their putting loyalty to their righteous God before family affection could be lifesaving for them.”—<font color="#1e73be">The Watchtower, April 15, 1988, pp. 26-28</font> 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.