What happens to people involved in a cult?

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua
    Participant

Over the years I have been in contact with many many people directly involved in cults. What I have observed, and you can witness it for yourself here, is that the members start losing some of their (for lack of a better term) intelligence. When I speak with them or when they post their use of english starts getting really distorted. This is really appearant when I am able to talk to someone who is just getting involved with a group. Students that are in university level studies who get involved in a cult group seem to drop a lot of IQ points and it is obvious over time. (IQ points simply measure your ability to learn new things.) It's no wonder that when we try and talk to them and teach them the things the cult like groups don't want them to know it's that much harder for them to grasp. For folks that I've explained the WMSCOG to, that have never heard of the teachings, are able to see the obvious flaws sometimes without me having to explain any of my own views. Even for those who I do explain to they understand it right away. I have an overwhelming amount of pity for the people that are trapped in these groups. Not only are they majorly misled but they are losing IQ points the longer they stay involved. Not getting what I am saying here? Ask someone who has gotten out of one of these groups about how easy it is for them to learn other material. For the students in paticular they see and feel how much more difficult learning has become for them. Thank God most people that get out are able to overcome this. The key is that they have to get out for under the undue influence of these controlling groups. My advice, keep praying and keep speaking out. Information for all of the people involved, the effected family and friends, and everyone else that will listen is our best defence and even our best weapon. Knowledge is power and there is strength in numbers. God's with us folks!  

nohandle
    Participant

Just wondering what scientific evidence you have to substantiate your claim?

Is it possible that the inability to learn things that is referred to has to do with being back in the worldly world – i.e., that the longer that one is in a group (groups that discourage outside thinking in order to actively inoculate membership from information that will assist in their exit) and subject to teaching that the outside world is bad, that this activity & practise is hard to let go of? and subsequently affects learning new things because the mind has been conditioned to race when presented with information that is not related to the group?  This would be much different than the actual loss of IQ points.

Joshua
    Participant

You need to do two things here. 1) Look up the definition of scientific evidence to see if you should really try to attach this term when speaking about individuals. 2) Read the above text again where I spoke about how most people are able to overcome this. Your possibilities are all factors that contribute to this problem. Have these folks lost IQ points? In my personal oppinion I believe that history speaks for itself in all cases. A friend of mine once said, "I studied my way in, now I have to study my way out." This is rather difficult however, it does help with both the overall transition and also increases the persons ability to learn new things.

nohandle
    Participant

The narcissism seems to be sticky as well.

Joshua
    Participant

Elaborate please. What have you seen?

Sarah2013
    Participant

People involved in cults do not know they are in cults. I know because I was in a cult that had the appearance of a saintly world.

debbiedowner
    Participant

Sarah2013 wrote:

People involved in cults do not know they are in cults. I know because I was in a cult that had the appearance of a saintly world.

Same.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The intense mental conditioning and the constant reinforcement of the cult message(s) can impact the reasoning capability of the victim to a considerable degree.  I think Joshua is correct from the standpoint of reasoning.  Being able to independently research, test, verify and arrive at conclusions (in this case of religious questions or theology) is impossible when trapped in a cult.  You are mentally conditioned and explicitly instructed to look to your deacons, missionaries, or top ministers for guidance on all things.  After recently speaking with an ex member I realized that the extent of control WMSCOG has over where members live, who they associate with and where they work is quite extensive and pervasive.  Breaking free of this kind of control is mentally exhausting and can cause quite a few adjustment problems for those who do.  We need to be ready, especially for those of us with family members, relatives, or friends that are in for several years, to help with those adjustment issues.  The damage done by the cult is definitely reversable, but it takes time … and support from family and friends is crucial.

Joshua
    Participant

While speaking with a friend of mine I gave an annalogy which even made me think. When people are involved in a control group or a destructive relationship they tend to get really focused on a limited amount of information. Imagine looking through a paper towel tube. When you are being manipulated all you are able to see is what is put in front of the tube. There is a lot more going on around you but all you can see or witness is what you can see through the tube. As time goes on your mind gets trained to only witness the limited area that you are shown. After a while parts of you that are not being utilized get weaker. Maybe the eye that you have been keeping closed so you could consentrate on the view through the tube has gotten weak. The part of the mind that gets fed information through that eye becomes limited due to lack of stimulation. While you have been focused on only what some group or individual wanted you to see you have been getting weaker. This is coupled with the idea that you have been taught that you are in the truth and you are doing is the right thing. It's insidious! The longer that you choose to stay in this situation the harder it is for you to see the big picture, the real world, and the reality of your situation. Please people, take the blinders off, use the mind that God gave you, and view all of the information that is being withheld from you. Become Free!

fedupmom
    Participant

Well said Joshua- Great Analogy!!!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.