Lawyers and cults

• Creator
    Topic
    Sally
    Participant

I watched the Scientology documentary and of course was shocked at the number of lawsuits they brought against their exmembers who spoke out against them. I have also read here about the wmscog doing what appears to be essentially the same thing.

My question is, what lawyer would want to represent a cult? Are they members? Do these groups have their own "in house" legal departments?

Given the bad publicity scientology and others have gotten, I'm surprised a respectable lawyer or law firm would take the case.

I'm not talking about someone who is accused of comitting a crime being entitled to representation, these suits are brought by the groups. I think that's a very different scenario.  

MountainMom
    Participant

Honestly,  lawyers are taught to look at all sides of an issue, and even murderers are given representation because that is how our legal system works.  Lawyers who take this on are doing what they are hired for, and of course, some go wherever the most money is. They will get some good money out of the wms even if they lose their cases.  Win-win even if they lose.  But, as Scientology found out via Katie Holmes lawyer Dad, if a good lawyer with a daughter in the church gets hold of them, they are in trouble.  I don't think there is a more powerful foe than a good lawyer with a cause.

Ms Freedom
    Participant

Several years ago I needed some legal advice and was directed to an attorney in my area. When I met with him, I learned that he had been a member of Scientology for about 10 years. He was recruited out of law school. Over a 10 year period, he gave them his entire retirement – ready for this…. $600,000 big ones!! When he finally realized it was a cult, the money was gone and he basically had to start all over with saving for his retirement. He told me that Scientology has a boat load of attorneys that are also members. 

There are attorneys/law firms that are retained by churches – especially if the church has any type of school associated with it. What I discovered is that these attorneys will defend ALL churches – good and bad. The reason for this is because if a precedent is set and churches start losing (again – good or bad) then all churches will be open to law suits. 

I did research on the attorney that was defending WMSCOG when they filed their lawsuit against Michele and this site – John Dozier. After a few months, this attorney that mother god hired dropped dead of a heart attack at the age of 56 (which isn't funny for him – but quite funny that god would hire an attorney that she knew was going to die – HELLO WMSCOG MEMBERS – RED FLAG SHE ISN'T GOD!!!) When I researched him (the link to his obituary on this site is no longer valid) I saw that his family requested donations be made to the Hope Church. http://hopecentral.com/what-we-believe/

While I understand non-Christian attorneys defending all churches, it is hard for me to understand why a good Christian man, that truly believed in the Bible, would defend a church that disrespects what he believes to be God's word. Mr. Dozier's father was a minister!!

In the end, the replacement attorney for WMSCOG still LOST! More proof mamma zang is not God!

MountainMom
    Participant

Well said Ms.Freedom, and the information on the wmscog's attorney should be a eye opener for members! 

Abhigail Delema
    Participant

I remember a decon telling me when they  had a problem in pune pimpri (India) and the korean were caught preaching in a certain area and a indian hit and they all were caught by a police and taken to the police station a mob of people follwed them and they were in custody for about four hours. when the decon heard about this from mumbai he tried to help so he knew there was a lawyer in zion so he told the pastor to tell the illegal missionary there by the name of Kim to speak to the lawyer and ask for help but the pastor refused.They never trusted the lawyer who was a member and they were worried about all their illegal secrets being revealed.The  bottom line is about six of them were deported, missionary sneaked out of the country after two days because of the heavy investigation, zion closed down as landlord told them to leave and confiscicated the furniture an items worth 3 lac indian rupees .Members were not told what was the actual problem and the amount of money lost.Here we can understand ultimately it is the members money,they never give an account of money recived or spend but it is always said it is given by mother from korea.

setufree
    Participant

@Abigail 

That's scary, I have heard in other countries brothers and sisters getting physically attacked, as alot of places outside the USA don't have the same protection/rights we do here in America. 

As for them being secretive, I always found it stange how there were never any members who were currently employed as lawyers, police officers, customs or government officials,  etc.   (only active and former Military), but never anyone with any sort of legal ties.  We were once told that we had so many brothers and sisters who were FBI/Cops, which I later found out to be BS.  You're right, they are too secretive and having someone who is a public servant/lawyer would be the beginning of the downfall of their supposed illegal business matters.

I used to get so nervous for the members who would get sent for overseas missions to other countries, where if anything like what you described can take place.  Public preaching here in the states can be downright dangerous and I saw firsthand how angry people would get when we'd start pushing God the mother on them, I can only imagine overseas the risk is worse.

Please keep us informed about what's happening over on your side of the world. Were those brothers and sisters who got attacked abandoned by the church or just told to tell members it was persecution and used as martyrs?

Abhigail Delema
    Participant

The other day i meet one of their deconess and she was telling me to come back and she also told me that she seen a vedio of the members that meet and received an award from the mayor in the US.So i just spoke to one of the ex-member about it and she told me that some years ago they even came to mumbai and meet the mayor of mumbai and had given her a gift and clicked pictures with her with the gift it was all about the we love you foundation they also visted the science centre regarding the pollution issues and how it is controled in India,At the same time they were preaching, i mean like a short term mission the puropse was preaching but the motive of the picture with the mayor was different it was like killing two birds at a time.Now i just wonder after some time they will put up pic saying they have meet the mayors of different countries and also say they have spread the gospel to the ends of the earth.I know here in mumbai when they had cleaning campain or blood drive they usaly had to beg the media and the VIP to come and be a part of the campaign so that they had good publicty but they dont go to areas that really need cleaning like slums etc.Actualy our govt here is doing a good job our streets are cleaned every day.I remember in the year 2012 they cleaned a street and the media person phoned them late after the program was over they sent two of their decons with a broom and just clicked a snap.members from thane and Raipur also told me the same that they have to litteraly beg people to come and be a part of the program.My best advice to them would be why not build some school or hospital for the poor children.I remember some years back blood donation was not a good idea becase it was only the blood of christ or father and mother which can give people eternal life  can save them not the phycical blood of people,but now see how they have changed their teaching and started the Publicity drive, back again to show people their good deeds.Back again they said your good deeds cant take you to heaven but only the blood of christ and your good deeds are keeping the commands of god not forgetting preaching (recruiting) now that i have left i get a better picture of their thinking which leaves me confused.When i was there a pastor also said people like Mahatama gandhi and mother thersa cannot go to heaven because they have done good deeds but have not kept the commands of god even the RC church does good deeds like helping the poor (satan) how can they?.So even jesus after feeding the poor escaped in the mountain so we must not focus on doing good like the RC church.But now i feel they are following them to with their good deeds like going to them also in time of trouble like the rahul rawail case in the news coloum.  

KC
    Participant

Want to figure out about wms? Try to see the whole thing with less religious common sense, put aside all the religious aspect of your point of view (bible quoting battle is just an endless shuffles of i am right and you are wrong)

Then you can see that everything that wms did in public is nothing more than publicity stunt…… A marketing effort, and usualy covered up with image of “social foundation” doing public social works, They dont say about being from wmscog, most of the time they use that we love you foundation cover…. Great for photo opportunity.

Simply said do any of you thinks that real God would need lawyers and lawsuits to smite the non believers?

Travis
    Participant

I second and concur with KC.

The only way to truly see what WMS is up to, and if you really want to figure out how to hurt them badly, leave the religious battles aside and think objectively. Change your perspective and you will change the rules on the battlefield ..

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.