Discovering God.

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua
    Participant

I recently read an idea about how there is no way that we can comprehend God. Our knowledge is too limited to be able to grasp who God is. There were two stories used in this annalogy which I will share with you. The first one many of you will remember. Four blind men were touching an elephant one was touching the trunk and described the elephant as being like a hose. The second man was bear hugging one of the legs and described the elephant as being something like a tree. The third man was feeling the side of the animal and described it as a wall. The last man felt the tail and thought an elephant must be something like a snake. Some people use this story to describe why there are so many religions in the world and how most of them are very similar. Here's the problem, all of the men are blind! What they need is for someone who can see to describe the animal to them so they can understand. I'll bet you are thinking that the seeing man could be the representation of Jesus who came to give us a glimps of who God is. Let's go on. I need you to imagine for a few minutes that you are the creator of a place we'll call Flatland. Imagine if you will that Flatland is a two dimentional place with living, breathing creations of your own imagination. You are a three dimentional being that has created a two dimentional world. The inhabitants of Flatland understand forward, backward, left, and right because, after all, they are two dimentional. (If it helps just imagine the top surface of a table.) You can look down on Flatland and watch your creations moving around living their own lives. Every once in a while you might put you finger down on the surface of this table known as Flatland. The inhabitants would view this as something miraculess but as I've said before their world is only two dimentional so all they would see is the tip of your finger and they would only see it as a flat slice and not you in your entirety. (Remember, they have no up or down only forward, backward, left, and right.) Now, if you wanted them to know you and have a relationship with you how would you do it? How would you explain who and what you are? Would you try to explain that they have only seen one slice of you and that you are many slices stacked one on top of another? They wouldn't understand that because they have no concept of up. Would you try and bring them into your 3D world? How would that be possible?

You might try and become like them to try and give them an idea of who you are. This is what Jesus did. Jesus was/is God and Gods attempt to show who He is to us. What makes me think that Jesus is God some of you might be asking? Historically Jesus is the only person who made the claim of being God that has any real validity backing His claim! No one else in all of history has any credibility in their claim of divinity. Please, if you think I'm wrong then name anyone else in history that has the credibility that Jesus has. Jesus is God reaching down to us in an effort to reestablish a relationship with us.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.