Zealot: Jesus of Nazareth

Smurf
    Participant

Classic muslim two-tongue talk. Islam is a bit more subtle than WMSCOG, but a cult is still a cult.

I keep noticing how little people know of Islam. Such ignorance has its price.

Joshua
    Participant

I think I need to take some time and research this a bit. It's a short video and not real revealing. I'm curious about what's in his book. It does seem like he has formed his own oppinion about stuff though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

He's a smart guy with a Muslim edge to his writing.  Jesus is a rebel who ticks off the Sanhedrin and gets hung up with thieves by the Romans.  He argues the theology underpinning "Christianity" in a very broad way was basically cobbled together by the Romans as the cult slowly gained momentum and power within the various parts of the empire.  Slowly, over a few centuries, the Christian cult became a "Roman Religion" with lots of additions, including the "divine" nature of Jesus.  Some truth to what he says and he has some biblical scholarship behind some of his allegations.  But overall he is a Muslim commenting on Christianity, for whatever that's worth …

James Snapp Jr. presents some counterarguments and points out some inconsistencies in Aslan's book.  You should read both books.  I personally am not a believer in a divine Christ, but I think Aslan overlooks some important facts and distorts others .

Travis
    Participant

@Smurf
    , Reza Aslan was a Christian who converted to Islam. I believe it would be worth some research before such a strong, yet baseless opinion. The guy has two PHDs in religion and has focused 25 years of his life to studying Christianity. He's a scholar with access to information that the average person does not have. I'm sure he knows the Bible better than most.

@Joshua
    , I'm almost done with he book and can tell you that it has some very good details and a strong argument. Yes, based on his own research, he uses his judgement. However, don't we do the same.?

Something I have found in this book is that in the Christian world, history has repeated itself more than a hundred times, yet we still don't learn from it. The issue most of us are going through with WMSGOC has been going on since the creation of Christianity. There's always a chosen one who, for some inexplicable reason, is among so many others the special person. The one that gets the clear message and has to complete the extraordinarily impossible task of bringing the so-called "good news" to all mankind. 

@HH — James Snapps' book will likely be my second. Then I will move to study the Bible more closely. 

History does not lie, if it does, so does the Bible. Nothing is true nor false until is proven. 

Thank you guys for your inputs 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Travis wrote:

History does not lie, if it does, so does the Bible. Nothing is true nor false until is proven. 

Not sure I would rely too much on 'the bible' for historical record.  But it is an interesting read at times …. sad that so many people regard it as "God's Word" (whatever that means).  It is what it is …. a jumble of Jewish writings ( in Aramaic and Greek mostly) and, of course, the journalism of the "new testament".  The fascinating book is the Apocalypse …. the dude who wrote that was on a real head trip!  And the poetry of the Psalms is very interesting ….

The problem is, it is so easy to get yourself 'ordained', start yourself a 'church', get your 'tithing' going, and preach your way to wealth!  And, of course, base it all on "THE BIBLE"!  In my view the best thing to do is stop viewing the bible as anything other than the jumble of sometimes (not always) fascinating Jewish writing it is … and if you choose to study it, don't ignore the massive amount of historical research that can enlighten you as to the historical context of what was being written and why it was written!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.