As discussed in Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the “Were We Angels That Were Kicked Out of Heaven” series, the World Mission Society Church of God (WMSCOG) believes that all people on earth existed as angels in heaven before existing as humans on earth. Can this be possible when we examine what the Scriptures tell us about when angels were created?
The Bible tells us that angels have not always existed but instead are part of the universe that God created. Genesis 2:1 tells us that “the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.” Host is another word for angels as seen in Psalm 148:2 “Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his heavenly hosts.” See also Nehemiah 9:6.
It can easily be determined that angels were created before the 7th day. “For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them…” Exodus 20:11
In the Bible there is evidence to suggest that angels were created on the 1st day. “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1) is immediately followed by “Now the earth was formless and empty…” (Genesis 1:2) No further mention of creation in heaven is made in the verses following Genesis 1:1. The earth on the other hand was uninhabitable at this point in creation. The fact that angels were created before the earth is further supported by Job 38:6-7 which describes the angels singing together and shouting for joy when God laid the cornerstone of the earth and set its footings.
“On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone—while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?” Job 38:6-7
Since the angels sang and shouted for joy while God was making the world inhabitable, this suggests that angels were created early on the 1st day, but man was not created until the sixth day.
- God will someday give us authority to judge angels (1 Corinthians 6:3), so the two are distinct .
- Humans are seen as beneath angels (Hebrews 2:7).
- Angels serve those humans who are to inherit salvation (Hebrews 1:14).
- Humans can bear children in their own image (Genesis 5:3) while angels can not have children (Matthew 22:30, Luke 20:34-36).
- God did not spare any of the angels that sinned against him (2Peter 2:4, Jude 6) but sent them to hell to await judgement.
- “For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants.” Hebrews 2:16.
- But of the human race God has decided to redeem a great multitude that no one can number (Revelation 7:9) in order to demonstrate his great mercy and grace. Angels, however, are not redeemed.
- Angels and man were created at different times.
- The Bible makes clear distinctions between humans and angels.
- The Bible tells us that the angels that sinned against God were not spared and instead were sent to hell to await judgement.
- All humans sinned (Romans 3:23, 5:12). Jesus Christ came to sanctify human sinners once and for all (Hebrews 10:10), but not the fallen angels.
Therefore, the Bible does not support the WMSCOG’s claim that humans ever existed as angels.